Ohm Meter is one of the essential electric tools. You can read voltage and resistance between two points using an Ohm Meter. An ohmmeter is the first material for every engineer and technician to work on.
In the Electrical Practical class, students need an ohmmeter in each practice. Everything in an electrical circuit, from the resistor to its current, can be measured by an ohmmeter.
Every Engineering Student should know how to read ohm meter 20k. A technician needs this tool regularly. If you have a little bit of knowledge about reading ohm meter, you can start with us.
You can call the ohm meter a multimeter. The name multimeter is more common nowadays. Measure a multimeter is not a complicated task. You need to know about the ohm meters and then start testing.
Let’s dive into it!
- How to Read Ohm Meter 20k? Explained
- Estimated Cost
- Time Needed
- Steps of Reading Ohm Meter
- Set Up The Battery
- Plug Both Test Leads With The Meter
- Check The Ohmmeter And Make Sure The Value Is Zero
- Count The Scale
- Scale Measurement
- Read the Value of Resistance
- Set The Range
- Turn On The Meter And Select Resistance Function:
- Don’t Connect Power Supplier
- Test Each Resistance Before Setting in The Circuit
- Read the Resistance with Lads
- Read The Value of Series and Parallel Circuits
How to Read Ohm Meter 20k? Explained
A multimeter costs you around 5 to 30 dollars. If you need to purchase it, you can quickly get it from a hardware shop.
Some multimeters cost over 50 dollars. These have different benefits. However, such an expensive multimeter is not required for regular work.
However, all the instruments are pre-stored in the practical class. If you are a student, it will cost you 0 buck.
Know about: Ridgid Granite Top Table Saw
In the beginning, it takes around 10 to 15 minutes to measure. But once you become an expert, it takes a minute.
And when you work with circuits, you have to calculate the values of the components. In that case, how much time you need depends on the complexity of the circuit.
Learn about: How To Date Craftsman Tools?
- A multimeter.
- Test leads.
- A resistance.
- A complete circuit.
Learn about: How to Date A Columbian Vise?
Steps of Reading Ohm Meter
You need an Ohm meter at first. So, you have to collect or buy an ohmmeter. Don’t collect an analog meter.
Analog ohmmeters were used in schools of that earlier era. The analog ego meter had a needle that moved along a scale. This meter is currently backdated.
So, it would be best if you had a digital meter that comes with a digital screen. A digital multimeter displays the grade numerically. NT digital meter is a good ohm meter overall.
It has good accuracy, and you will find many useful functions in it. It is not a cheap multimeter. But it is a value for money product. Let’s begin the process –
Set Up The Battery
If you purchase the NT digital meter, its battery will be pre-installed. Some meters do not have batteries installed at the time of purchase. However, the batteries are given separately.
So, no matter what meter you use, you need to check if the battery is plugged appropriately at the beginning.
An analog meter can measure a maximum of 10,000 ohms. But you need to read 20,000 ohms. You cannot do this without a digital meter. So, an analog ohmmeter is useless for you.
Try to collect a good quality multimeter so that you can test not only resistance but also voltage, amperage, etc.
Plug Both Test Leads With The Meter
There are two leads you will get with the ohmmeter. You have to plug both of the leads.
There are two leads in the meter named “common” and “positive.” The standard plug is the negative one, and the positive plug is the positive one.
- Attach the black lead to the negative or standard plug.
- Attach the red lead to the positive plug.
- Plug the short end terminal of the lead inside the socket.
- Use the long end terminal to examine circuit resistance.
You don’t need to buy the leads separately. When you buy an ohmmeter, you will get the leads.
Check The Ohmmeter And Make Sure The Value Is Zero
Now, you have to measure the value of the ohmmeter.
- Tough the probes together.
- If it displays 0, then the digital meter is ready to use.
- If it is an analog meter, the needle will go to the highest right.
Count The Scale
On the display of the digital ohm meter, you will see an omega (Ω) symbol. It is a Greek symbol. The unit of resistance is indicated by it.
- If the resistance of the kiloohm range is tested, you will see the letter “k” before Omega (Ω).
- For the megaohm range, you will see the letter “M” before Omega (Ω).
- For the milliohm range, you will see the letter “m” before Omega (Ω).
- 1 ohm = 1 ohm,
- 1 kiloohm = 1000 ohm
- 1 Megaohm = 1000000 ohm
For example, showing 5.2K Ω on display means 5.2 kiloohms or 5200 ohms.
Read the Value of Resistance
You must know how to display the value of a resistor. Understanding the value is the focusing point of reading the ohmmeter. If you cannot read the value, you cannot sum the voltage and current of the circuit.
- Each resistor has a specific value.
- But when measuring the resistance, its value decreases slightly.
- The value of the resistor is slightly lower due to the temperature difference.
- The value of the resistor is always shown up to two digits after the decimal.
Set The Range
All the multimeter does not have an auto-range function. If you have an auto-range system on your ohm meter, you do not need to range the meter. Otherwise, you have to set the range manually.
- 2M is suitable for tongue measurement. Here, 2M means not more than 2000,000 ohms.
- If you range 20k, it won’t show more than 20,000 ohms.
Get an idea of the range of components before you test them. If you do so, you can easily set the range without any problem.
Turn On The Meter And Select Resistance Function:
Thumb up the power switch, and the ohmmeter is ready to work. If you don’t find the button, ask your teacher or consult a manufacturer.
Turn on the resistance function if you use a multimeter because a multimeter can read resistance, voltage, and current. You cannot measure resistance if the voltage function is on.
Again, an ohmmeter on this side only measures the resistance. The ohmmeter has no function to measure voltage or current. So, you don’t have to select any function separately there.
Don’t Connect Power Supplier
You do not need to have any power supply to measure the resistance of the resistor. Because the power supply is high, there is a possibility of damage to the multimeter or ohmmeter.
A high voltage power supply also can damage the components of the circuit. Keeping the power supply on the circuit for a long time changes the value of the resistor, capacitor, or transistor.
Test Each Resistance Before Setting in The Circuit
It is vital to read the resistor’s value.
- Before preparing the circuit, you should check the resistor and each transistor, capacitor once.
- Sometimes, it is seen that the value of the resistor changes due to excess voltage supply.
- So, if you check once from the beginning, you will understand the value.
- Keep a notebook and pen to write down the values.
Read the Resistance with Lads
Finally, it is time we are waiting for. Now, we read the resistance using an ohmmeter.
- Keep notebooks and pens with you, and be prepared for measuring resistance.
- Take the black and red leads.
- If you use a multimeter, then turn on the resistance function.
- Set the range 2M. Then, take the resistor.
- You will see two silver plates of your resistance. They almost look like a silver wire.
- Touch the plates with the leads.
- In this case, there is no need to worry about the color of the lead.
- The resistance value can be seen on the display of your ohmmeter.
Read The Value of Series and Parallel Circuits
In the previous step, we have learned how to measure the resistance of a resistor using an ohmmeter. But what if you want to measure a parallel or series resistance. Follow the steps to do so.
- At first, design the circuit on paper.
- Then, place the components on the circuit board according to the picture.
- Don’t connect the board with the power supplier.
- If you use a multimeter, then turn on the resistance function.
- Set the range 2M.
- Touch the two leads at the two ends of the circuit.
- The total resistance value can be seen on the display of your ohmmeter.
What Does 20K Mean On A Multimeter?
On a multimeter, 20k means it reads a maximum of 20,000 ohms. It does not display the value of the resistance is more than 20k. 20 kΩ range is count as a middle range for a multimeter.
How Much Ohm Is Considered A Short?
2 ohm or less than 2 ohms is considered as a short.
How Much Ohm is the Good Ground?
5-ohm resistance is count as a good ground.
How do I Test My Multimeter?
Connect the battery and touch the two leads. If it displays a reading, then the multimeter is okay.
So was the “How To Read Ohm Meter 20k” guideline helpful for you? An ohmmeter or a multimeter is a fundamental instrument of every technician. Using an ohmmeter is the basis of electric practical. It is effortless to use.
You need to know how to use the ohmmeter and how to read the ohmmeter. After that, it is a one-minute task.
A digital ohmmeter is the best for reading resistance. We recommend using a multimeter. Don’t use an analog ohmmeter because this is not fun at all.