When working with chainsaws, you must be extra careful and aware of your surroundings.
Like when you’re cutting trees or brush, it is essential to have a safety device that will help you cut without harming people or objects around you. That safety device is the clutch spring. Your clutch spring must be in good condition when you use chainsaws for wood cutting, gardening, or other light work.
That way, your Chainsaw will safely cut through wood and grass without any issues.A clutch spring is a metal or plastic cylinder that helps transfer the power from the engine to the transmission. The clutch spring can become worn out over time, causing the chainsaws to start up hesitantly or not at all.
The Chainsaw will eventually stop working if the clutch spring is not replaced. It’s important to always use caution when working with a chainsaw, as improper handling can result in serious injury or even death. The replacement process for a Husqvarna chainsaw is simple and inexpensive. Luckily, repairing clutch springs on chainsaws is not difficult and can do by even an amateur mechanic.
Why Do You Need To Replace It?
Chain saws use clutch springs to help power the chain from the engine through the transmission. Chain saw clutches work best when they have a firm, consistent pedal action. If the clutch spring is not replaced or begins to wear out, this may not happen, and your Chainsaw might not start at all – or it might have an erratic cutting action.
The clutch spring is a device that helps to engage the chain saw sprocket and crank. Over time, the clutch spring may lose its strength, resulting in difficulty starting the Chainsaw.
When this happens, the clutch may stick or not disengage properly, causing poor engine performance and difficulty in starting the Chainsaw. Several factors can contribute to a weak clutch spring, including age and heavy usage.
7 Steps To Replace Clutch Spring On Husqvarna Chainsaw
A clutch spring on a chainsaw transfers the force from the engine to the clutch. This allows you to engage and disengage the clutch for a powerful kickstart when starting the Chainsaw. The clutch spring is also responsible for helping maintain proper tension on the chain as it starts and stops. Replacing a clutch spring on a Husqvarna chainsaw is quite easy. You just need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Remove the spark plug cap and unscrew the fuel bowl cover with the Chainsaw turned off. Remove the old oil filter with a wrench and pour new oil into the motor (3-4 drops). Replace all o-rings.
- Check chain tension by pulling one end of the chain across saw blades – it should make very little noise or resistance when moved. If there is too much slack in the chain, refitchain using the correct number of links and adjust the height adjustment screw to suit until tension is correct (usually two links = 1/8″ length of chain).
- Remove the clutch cover (8 screws) and remove the chain housing by gently pulling straight up while moving the chain along the blade – keep fingers clear of saw teeth!
- The clutch spring is on the right-hand side below the exhaust ports, as shown in yellow in the photo. WARNING: Clutch spring can be dangerous if mistakenly grasped – take care when handling it.
- Loosen the clutch spring retainer bolt by turning it anticlockwise with a Phillips head screwdriver. This will allow the clutch spring to move up and down freely. Check that both ends of the spring are correctly aligned (or replaced if not) and fit over the chain housing sprocket – there should be about a 1mm gap between each end of the Spring & Chain Housing Spacers).
- Fit the new clutch spring retainer bolt by turning it anticlockwise with a Phillips head screwdriver. Tighten the bolt to hold the clutch spring in place.
- Fit the chain housing by sliding it onto the sprocket, then refit the screws (8). Refit cover and replace clutch cover bolts (8).
How Does Clutch Spring Work?
A clutch spring provides a smooth, consistent shifting action between the drive sprocket and the chain. When the clutch spring wears out, it can cause problems with the gearbox and Chainsaw.
Clutch springs are a component of transmissions that allow a car to change gears smoothly and without any jerking. They work by using a pair of plates that rotate in opposite directions. The plates move together when the driver presses the accelerator pedal, compressing the spring. This causes the gearbox to shift into the next gear.
There are two main types of clutch springs: wet and dry. Wet clutch springs are made from oil and water, while dry clutch springs are made from oil only. They both work similarly, but wet clutch springs tend to be more durable because they absorb shock better than dry ones.
Tips On How To Adjust The Clutch On A Husqvarna Chainsaw
The clutch on a Husqvarna chainsaw is a small device that allows you to change the chain from one gear to another. It’s important to adjust the clutch regularly so the chain doesn’t get too tight or too loose, and it can be tricky to do on your own. Here are some tips on how to adjust the clutch:
- Pull out the handlebar sprocket (the one with the number 1 on it) by rotating it anticlockwise.
- Rotate the driven sprocket (the one with the number 2) clockwise until it stops.
- Hold onto the bar end of the chain saw and turn both sprockets in opposite directions until they stop turning.
- Make sure both sprockets are in neutral positions (not rotated any further) and then replace the handlebar sprocket.
Clutch springs are a critical part of any chainsaw, and they need to replace regularly if you want to keep your Chainsaw in good working order. They provide the necessary tension to the chain when it’s in use, and without them, it can become difficult to start the chain up or stop it from spinning quickly.
The Husqvarna chainsaw is not the only Chainsaw that needs these springs replaced. Any Chainsaw that uses a clutch system will need to have them replaced at some point. The best way to know when they should replace it is by checking the chain tensioner for wear or damage.
If it’s showing any signs of wear or damage, then it’s time for the clutch springs to replace. Although clutch springs aren’t that expensive, replacing them requires some experience and an understanding of chainsaw maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.How Do You Change The Clutch On A Husqvarna Chainsaw?
Ans: Remove the chain cover and the clutch cover to change the clutch on a Husqvarna chainsaw. The clutch spring is located behind the clutch cover. To replace the clutch spring, use a wrench to unscrew the bolts that hold the clutch spring in place. Once the bolts have been removed, slide the new clutch spring onto the chain and tighten the screws that hold it in place.
2.How Do You Tighten A Clutch On A Chainsaw?
Ans: First, make sure the chain is properly tensioned to tighten the clutch on a chainsaw. Next, loosen the clutch by turning it clockwise. Once the clutch has been loosened, tighten it by turning it counterclockwise.
3.Can You Use An Old Clutch Spring From Another Model Of Saw To Repair Your Old One?
Ans: Unfortunately, you cannot replace the clutch spring on your Husqvarna chainsaw with an old one from another model of saw. The clutch spring on your Husqvarna chainsaw is specific to that model of Chainsaw and should not use on any other chainsaw. You will need to purchase a new one to repair your Husqvarna chainsaw’s clutch spring.
4.Is There Any Way I Can Tell When It Is Time To Replace The Clutch On My Husqvarna Chainsaw?
Ans: Clutch springs on chainsaws should be replaced every four to six years, depending on how often the saw is used. To replace the clutch spring on a Husqvarna chainsaw, you will need the following tools: a Phillips head screwdriver, a socket wrench, and a wrench nut. The steps to replacing the clutch spring are as follows: remove the chain cover, remove the clutch plate, remove the clutch spring, and replace the clutch spring with the new one.
5.How Do You Install A Chainsaw Brake Spring?
Ans: First, remove the chain cover and clutch assembly to install a chainsaw brake spring. Then, remove the old clutch spring and install the new one by pressing it into place. Reinstall the chain cover and clutch assembly.